Search This Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2009

How to Lick a Slug

A column from NY Times columnist Nicholas D. Kristof entitled How to Lick a Slug explores the lack of environmental fluency in the current generation of children. He describes backpacking with his daughter, which is half of the equation: children sharing nature with an adult who models the value of nature experiences. But the other half he alludes to only with examples. It is unstructured play in a special place that is essential to forming a connection to the natural world, which fosters the love that sustains environmental responsibility in the adult person.

I will keep harping on this because that is where it happened for me. Beachcombing with my family in Amagansett and playing alone at Brookdale Park were the kind of place-experiences where I built the connection I have to the natural environment. I also had a father and other adults that modeled conservation ethics for me. But I think that is not what is in short supply for today's kids.

I think backpacking trips can form the sense of place, if, as Mr. Kristof's family does, it involves returning to the same place every year. It doesn't have to be daily, just routine and sustained. I hope his daughter gets days where they don't travel, but just get to goof around the campsite.